This years take on Stephen King’s IT was both a huge success and a huge undertaking. The task of fitting half the novel into a 2 hour film was a big task, so naturally plenty of scenes would have been deleted, or shortened to make the film more manageable.
The film it set to be released on Bluray on January 9th 2018 but with the film being available in Australia already details of deleted scenes are making their way around the web. The full list of deleted and extended scenes can be found below:
- Georgie Catches Boat (Opening Gag Scene): “When Georgie grabs for the boat in the opening…he gets it and walks away, saying ‘See you later!’ to a frustrated Pennywise. Gotta admit, I laughed.”
- Stanley’s Dad corrects him (Extended scene): “Stanley is reciting Hebrew in a synagogue, but his Dad jumps in to correct his pronunciation.”
- Denbrough family dinner: “Bill sits at the dinner table while his Dad reads a magazine and his Mum washes up. Bill starts talking about their family trip for the year, but his Mum walks off upset. His Dad explains that Georgie was really looking forward to it.”
- Bill’s Dad looks in the basement, et al: “After Bill has his encounter with Pennywise in the basement, he runs into his father. His Dad has a look in the basement, doesn’t find anything, and tells Bill to go to bed. Meanwhile, Henry tries to sneak out past his Dad, and gets into a car with Victor and Belch. They see Mike ride past on his bike.”
- Outside the Neibolt house: “Mike, Beverly, Ben and Stanley are outside the house while Bill, Eddie and Richie are inside. Stanley talks about not being able to go inside while Mike comforts him. Ben places his hand on Beverly’s shoulder.”
- Evacuating the Neibolt house (Extended scene): “Just an extended scene of the Losers’ Club leaving the house and getting on their bikes.”
- Stanley’s Bar Mitzvah speech: “Self-explanatory. Stanley delivers a speech after his Bar Mitzvah about “indifference,” during which there’s a brief montage showing what the other kids are up to. He makes a bit of a scene and storms off while Richie claps.”
- Eddie at Keene’s pharmacy (Extended scene): “Just an extended scene at the pharmacy as Eddie talks to the girl who signs his cast with ‘Loser.'”
- Henry and Bullies wait outside (Extended scene): “As the Losers’ Club heads into the Neibolt house, Henry sits in his car with his face covered in blood. Belch and Victor are dead with throats slit.”
- The Losers find Georgie’s walkie: “Bill picks up Georgie’s walkie right before Henry attacks Mike at the top of the well.”
- Denbrough family vacation: “After saying goodbye to Beverly at the end of the movie, Bill and his parents are packing for the family vacation Bill was talking about in an earlier deleted scene. This subplot does kind of enhance the family dynamic. As the car drives away, the camera pulls in to the drain where Georgie was taken. Camera stops, and rain starts to hit the pavement. This would have been a perfect final shot.”
There are also several details on bonus content circulating as well which can be seen below:
- Pennywise Lives (16:25) – “A behind-the-scenes featurette about Pennywise, of course.”
- The Losers’ Club (15:42) – “A featurette about the child actors in the movie.”
- Author of Fear (13:51) – “An extended interview with Stephen King, who talks at length about writing the book. He mentions that Derry was based off a town in Maine called Bangor.”
The bluray certainly seems like it is going to be packed with extras and deleted scenes to give fans an extra slice of the film, and there is also a rumored directors cut looking to be released which we certainly wont argue with.
IT released on Bluray on January 9th 2018.